From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:39 -0500
I was a resident at the Parker House in Boston this weekend. Twain's own room no longer exists, but I was surrounded by the spirits of the Saturday Club.  My purpose was to prepare for a lecture before a private audience of technologists, lawyers, teachers and writers. The event was hosted by an technical entrepreneur who was inspired in his youth by Twain.

My approach to presenting Twain is to speak for a time and then allow the audience to ask any question on any topic that strikes their fancy. Every lecture is therefore unique and dangerous, informative, and inspiring.

In this case, the laughter never subsided and the host had to stop the questioning after more than an hour. No one was hurt, but many came to me afterward, seeking advice, which I had warned them not to do.

I returned to the Hotel after the event and did something else unique for me: I went to the bar as Twain. Soon thereafter, a couple entered and cautiously sat next to the nut in a white suit. Turned out they were from San Francisco. A long and lively Twain-inspired conversation followed that was joined by dozens of red-nosed revelers.

One highlight of the evening was being asked by a History Professor to write for his blog. He was sober.

Such elevating experiences make me grateful for Twain's existence on many levels, and thankful for the opportunity to call on his spirit to help me keep his wit and wisdom alive.

Sent from my iPhone