From:
Joe Alvarez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:18:59 -0500
As I noted in my Tom Tenney post, I am often late, and even more tardy in my response to the death of our beloved colleague,  James Cox.

I have only one small item to share about him. For a few years, we had a cabin near Independence, VA. During our experience there around 1990 or so, Jim went into semi-retirement from Dartmouth. One weekend I was there, he presented a talk about Huck Finn at the Independence Library. My wife and I attended and found him to be knowledgeable, enchanting, and humorous (as I had already known from other encounters).

This program would have been a big event at other venues and was well attended in Independence, a very small city and the seat of Grayson County. After all, Jim was a noted Twain scholar, but there, he was just a "good ol' boy" at home.

Joe Alvarez
900 Havel Court
Charlotte, NC  28211-4253

Telephone: 704.364.2844