From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2023 16:47:28 -0700
Your point is well taken.  I have been unable to locate an on-line copy
of any Lafayette paper for that date.  I was actually trying to find
train schedules, such  as I found for the Fort Wayne departure. My
reference to Scharnhorst was not about the interview but about his
paragraph in "The Middle Years" page 446.  One needs to be careful about
all secondary sources, however.  This particular entry has them
departing Fort Wayne before 6am, the Fort Wayne Daily Gazette, February
6, 1885 has the train departing at 6:30 am.  I'm still bothered by the
DBD entry for February 7th - why would he need to take a train to
Indianapolis at 7am if he was already in Indianapolis.  This would make
more sense if he actually woke up in Lafayette that morning.As an
asideregarding the interview, I enjoyed Twain's description of the canal
and its comparison with Venice.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/