Sender:
From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2021 19:37:55 +0000
Somebody asked me privately why the news about JSTOR was good news, so
I'm sharing my reply--as best as I understand it. I probably could have
explained it more accurately as good news/bad news, and I invite anyone
with more information to jump in and share it.

As I understand it, there was some concern JSTOR would shut down or
block access to the archives of the 200+ journals that will no longer
participate in the JHP ( the "journal hosting program" that lists the
most recent issues). But it sounds like they are simply dropping JHP,
and that access to the archives will be unchanged. So, yes, it's not
good news they are dropping JHP, but it's good news that this doesn't
affect the archives of those participating journals.

I know that Dr  Alan Gribben negotiated a favorable deal with JSTOR for
the Mark Twain Journal, as part of his long and successful battle to get
the MTJ on sound financial footing, but I don't know how this news
affects MTJ.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books