From:
MaryLou Caskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:05:35 -0400
This is a very interesting thread to me. I looked up WIT in the
dictionary and found loads of definitions, but a couple of them seem
germane. "the ability to relate seemingly disparate things so as to
illuminate or amuse," or "a talent for banter or persiflage" or
"a facetious or satirical retort or comment". Comedians do these
things all the time.

Synonyms are listed as: humor, irony, sarcasm, satire, repartee.

"WIT suggests the power to evoke laughter by remarks showing verbal
felicity or ingenuity and swift perception esp. of the incongruous;

HUMOR implies the ability to perceive the ludicrous, the comical,
and the absurd in human life and to express these usu. without
bitterness;

IRONY applies to a manner of expression in which the intended meaning
is the opposite of what is seemingly expressed;

SATIRE applies to writing that exposes or ridicules conduct, doctrines,
or institutions either by direct criticism or more often through irony,
parody, or caricature;

REPARTEE implies the power of answering quickly, pointedly, wittily,
and often humorously."

I thought it might be useful to see the variations in the definitions
of the different types of humor.

When I mention stand up comedians in this thread I am trying to
think about who are the humorists of today. I Twain's day, I'm
sure many people dismissed him as a lightweight funny man, too.
You are rarely fully appreciated in your own time. So who are
today's humorists? Someone said Garrison Keillor. I think he is
a great choice. I have many of his tapes and like the way he
uses music so often. I particularly like his album called Songs
of the Cat, recorded with Frederica von Stade (sp?) the opera
singer. Twain was a bit of a musician too.
Would you consider Calvin Trillin in this group?

Mary Lou in Utica