miki pfeffer <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Jun 2019 17:21:14 -0500
My book coming out in November is a volume of letters of each Clemens with
a southern woman writer, Grace King, who was their friend for two decades.
She writes home to her family in New Orleans describing times with Twain
and the family in 1887, 1888, and 1892 (outside Florence). In other years
they exchange letters, especially between confidants Livy and Grace. There
are also letters from Susy, Clara, and Jean that include references to
what's happening in the family.
King knew him as loving father, husband, and generous friend as well as a
public figure.
*A New Orleans Author in Mark Twain's Court: Letters from Grace King's New
England Sojourns* has the complete collection of letters among them with
one from Clara to Grace as late as 1930.
I hope someone from the Forum will review it and more will read it. I think
King's is a voice that hasn't fully been heard.

Here's a link to LSU Press catalog describing the book:
https://lsupress.org/books/by-catalog/fall-2019/

Thanks for the opportunity to tell about it.
Miki

--
Miki Pfeffer, Ph D
*A New Orleans Author in Mark Twain's Court: Letters from Grace King's New