From:
Michael O'Conner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:12:54 -0500
In Chapter 24 of _IA_ Twain comments on copies  of sculptures in Florence:

        How the fatigues and annoyances of travel fill one with bitter prejudices sometimes!  I might enter Florence under happier auspices a month hence and find it all beautiful, all attractive.  But I do not care to think of it now, at all, nor of its roomy shops filled to the ceiling with snowy marble and alabaster copies of all the celebrated sculptures in Europe - copies so enchanting to the eye that I wonder how they can really be shaped like the dingy petrified nightmares they are the portraits of.

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/21/00 08:50AM >>>
I am posting this on behalf of Glen MacLeod:

Mark Twain describes--somewhere--seeing a warehouse in Leghorn (Italy) full
of copies of famous statues.  Do you know which passage he's remembering?
I've looked through A Tramp Abroad and Innocents Abroad without finding it.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Sincerely,

Glen MacLeod
English Department
UConn