From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 04:13:58 -0500
The raft episode inserted into the California edition of AHF:

I get the explanation but cannot seem to get by 2 things:

a.  Twain never included it during his lifetime, and

b.  Funny, yes, but it just seems incoherent, disturbing the flow of the
story.

Can I hear any further pros and cons on the rationale for including this
section?  I chose the California text this semester for the first time, but
am wondering if this is the right text mainly due to the inclusion of the
raft section.  (the other secondary materials in this edition are simply
stupendous, btw.  And of course I applaud including the illustrations.)

I ask humbly and with all due respect to the terrific editing team at
Berkeley; in fact would welcome additional comments from Bob or any of the
team out there...  --hb

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University