From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:33:52 EDT
The Mark Twain Forum needs a reviewer for the following book:

     Howe, Lawrence.  _Mark Twain and the Novel: The Double-Cross of
     Authority_.  (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture
     116.)  New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998.  Pp. xiv + 265.
     Notes, index.  Cloth, 6" x 9".  $54.95.  ISBN 0-521-56168-X.

The jacket reads:

     Mark Twain was an author both drawn to and suspicious of authority,
     and his novels reflect this tension.  Marked by disruptions,
     repetitions, and contradictions, they exemplify the ideological
     standoff between the American ideal of individual freedom and the
     reality of social control.  This book provides a fresh look at
     Twain's major novels, such as _Life on the Mississippi_,
     _Huckleberry Finn_, and _A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's
     Court_.  The difficulties in these works are shown to be neither
     flaws nor failures, but rather intrinsic to both the structure of
     the American novel and the texture of American culture.

     About the author: Lawrence Howe is Assistant Professor of English
     at the School of Liberal Studies, Roosevelt University, in Chicago.
     He has published articles on a range of topics in American culture,
     including Poe's detective fiction, the criticism of AIDS
     literature, and the films of presidential libraries.

As usual, the review must be of publishable quality, and it would be due
within two months of your receipt of the book (i.e., due early-December
1998).  The deadline is particularly important, as we are making every
effort for Forum reviews to appear before print reviews.  If you are
inclined to procrastinate, please don't offer to review the book.

If you would like to see the general content and style of Forum book
reviews, feel free to browse the archive of reviews, which are available
at TwainWeb:

     http://www.twainweb.net

If you're interested in writing a review, please send me both your home
and institutional mailing addresses and phone numbers.  If I don't know
you already, it would be helpful for you to explain in what respect
you're qualified to write the review.  (If we haven't exchanged e-mail
recently, it might be a good idea for you to remind me of this info.)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Taylor Roberts
Book review editor, Mark Twain Forum