From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:49:45 -0700
I've always read "the person sitting" as a deliberate choice, an example of Twain's adept & frequent reliance on the possibility of empathic perception in his reader, betting that the individual reader might, in this particular case, get a glimpse at the nature and extent of the predations which are the source of the suffering of "the person sitting."  Predations which are, of course, imposed on "the person sitting" by the imperialist activities of nations including that of "the person reading."  Twain uses this device, IMO, in the hope that the reader will have sufficient powers of insight to make the connection, obviating the necessity of ponderous preaching. Huck Finn, is, of course, the Twain archetype for this very effective use of the possibility of empathic perception to slowly, but surely, sneak up on and bring into question widely-held assumptions/perceptions, creating at least the possibility their subversion.

Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri