From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:12:46 -0500
Thanks for all the knowledgeable commentary on the film footage.  I've asked this before, but I'll ask again because we seem to have a new coterie of knowledgeable people on board:  is anyone aware of Twain having commented on cinema.  One of the newspaper clippings he quotes in "Italian Without a Grammar" includes advertisements of two cinemas--Sala Edison, showing _Quo Vadis; and Cinematografo, showing _Don Chisciotte_.   It's hard to imagine that he wouldn't have seen some films, even if not these, but an Italian version of Don Quixote seems especially irresistible to him.

Any leads would be apreciated.

Thanks,

--LH

Larry Howe
Professor of English
Chair, Department of Literature and Languages
Roosevelt University