Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Steve Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 07:51:00 -0400
Let me suggest one more of Huck's progeny for Peter Messent's list:  the
narrator of Padgett Powell's EDISTO.  I don't know enough about Powell to
say that there's any direct and/or acknowledged  Twain influence, but it's
difficult to imagine Powell creating his first person narrator, with a low
country dialect, without having at least thought of Huck.  That Powell's
narrator is the son of an English professing-mom makes the case all the more
interesting.

Steve Jobe
Hanover College