From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:00:29 -0800
I recall some mention of possible difficulties in returning Livy's body
to the United States from Italy.  I have been unable to find a reference
to the American ambassador, or someone of near his rank, clearing the
way to ship her body as proper documentation had not been obtained.  The
remark that recurs in my mind is that such clearance was given because
of Mark Twain's celebrity and that an ordinary person would have been
stymied  and unable to send a body home again.

The only reference to bureaucratic interference in Livy's death that I
have been able to find is a mention in Day by Day "FLORENCE, June 7.—A
funeral service of the simplest character took place over the body of
Mrs. Samuel L. Clemens in the Villa Quarto to-day after a vexatious
visit from sanitary officers and compliance with annoying regulations.
Only members of the family were present."  There was no reference to
this comment other than MTP.

I'm working on an essay touching on Twain's relationship with
bureaucracies and this instance seems an important encounter.  There are
many others but this one is what prompted me to consider this question.