From:
Donna Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:29:26 -0700
I haven't seen the exact "club" reference, but here are a few possibilities from Selected Mark Twain-Howells Letters:

Howells to Clemens 13 September 1896 (310-311)

I remember how you came in one day when we were bleeding from the death of Winnie and said to me, "Oh did I wake you?" because I suppose my heavy heart had gotinto my eyes, and I looked sleep broken . . . We join in love to you which has known the same sorrow as yours.

Clemens to Howells 24 September 1896 (311)

Yes, you two know what we feel--but no others among our friends.  They have lost children, but the proportions were not the same.  As Mrs. Clemens says, "they have lost a daughter, but they have not lost a Susy Clemens."

Clemens to Howells, 22 January 1898 (317-318)

Look at those ghastly figures.  I used to write it "Hartford, 1871." There was no Susy then--there is no Susy now.  and How much lies between--one long lovely stretch of scented fields, & meadows, & shady woodlands; & suddenly Sahara!  You speak of the glorious days of that old time --& they were.  It is my quarrel--that traps like that are set.  Susy & Winnie given us, in miserable sport, & then taken away. . . . If you were here I think we could cry down each other's necks, as in your dream.  For we are a pair of old derelicts drifting around, now, with some of our passengers gone & the sunniness of the others in eclipse.

These aren't really the "club" reference, though, which does sound familiar.

Donna Campbell
Associate Professor of English
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164