Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:24:55 -0600
8bit
From:
Alan Eliasen <[log in to unmask]>
On 2017-08-14 07:37, William Robison wrote:
> There is a fairly well known story that the Shawnee Chief Tecumseh
> predicted both the solar eclipse of June 16, 1806 and the New Madrid
> Earthquake of December 16, 1811, and used this to convince the Shawnee the
> gods supported war against the white man. One version of the story says
> Tecumseh knew about the eclipse in advance because he had seen it forecast
> in an almanac.
>
> I have read speculation that Twain drew upon this story for the scene in *A
> Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court *in which Hank Morgan out-wizards
> Merlin by predicting a solar eclipse.
>
> Does anyone on the list know if there is evidence to support that?

   When this topic came up before on this list (2013-04-26, thread
entitled "Hank Morgan's Solar Eclipse,")  I replied that if you read
Connecticut Yankee itself, Twain makes a joke about it directly in the text:

   "You see, it was the eclipse. It came into my mind in the nick of
time, how Columbus, or Cortez, or one of those people, played an eclipse
as a saving trump once, on some savages, and I saw my chance. I could
play it myself, now, and it wouldn’t be any plagiarism, either, because
I should get it in nearly a thousand years ahead of those parties."

   (Connecticut Yankee, Chapter 5)

   Barbara Schmidt also noted:

--
  Alan Eliasen