From:
"John R. Pascal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2016 20:18:43 -0500
I showed the U.S. Mint’s brochure that focused solely on the Mark Twain coins to my 22 young men in my Writings of Mark Twain class this afternoon.

I only asked what they thought of the images and Mr. Twain’s likeness.

All said they loved both coins and thought Misto C’s image was perfectly captured.

They were especially thrilled that the “Jumping Frog” that started it all was leaping toward us and commemorated right out of the water from the book next to Huck and Jim.  They loved the moon behind Tom and Huck on the silver coin and the view of the horizon on its back.  They said the back of the silver coin was so energetic that it is “literature come alive!”

One student asked “Where’s the cigar?”  The other student responded that he loved the pipe more because the cigar would look “too common and the curvature of the pipe matches the curve of the coin and his picture with the pipe.  Makes you want to reach out and almost touch Twain.”

Another student wished he could jump on the gold steamboat.

I informed them that these coins are keepsakes for their grandchildren and another student replied, “Yeah, my grandson or granddaughter better be reading Twain!”

I suggested that they ask for these as graduation gifts from relatives.  No one made fun of the suggestion.

John Pascal
Seton Hall Preparatory School