Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:13:50 -0800
Okay, well, I didn't mean for my response to go to the list, but in for a penny
in for a pound, just in case anyone else is interested.

As I said, I'm far from expert, Michael, but Alan's choice of the word "Indian"
to replace "Injun" makes sense on a lot of levels, both historical and current.

Popular novelist and author Sherman Alexie's position is far from PC, and his
take on tribalism and his particular use of "Indian" makes a  lot of Native or
First Nations people angry.  There are numerous online interviews where you  can
learn about Alexie's rather pugnacious attitudes on this question--and the
largely negative Native reaction to it.

So far as I know, all of these other authors you mention--Erdrich, Silko, and
Welch--self identify with their tribal affiliation over other terms.  Tribal
affiliation is a political and national identity, not just an ethnic or cultural
label, and therefore, the use of the word "Indian" or "Native" omits the aspect
of identity that comes from being a citizen of an independent sovereign nation.
Also, there are huge differences in culture, language and history among the
hundreds of tribal nations, so both terms are sweeping generalizations anyway.
As such, the use of "Indian" rather than "Injun" in the context of Twain's work
will still carry some level of punch, depending on one's perspective.

Of the writers you list, Silko (who is Laguna Pueblo, Mexican, and white) is the
least ambiguous on the question of the word "Indian."  Usually, in her work,
"Indian" is a pejorative term, an epithet used when an outsider doesn't give a
damn what a person's name is, let alone his or her tribal affiliation:  he is
just "Indian."  To Silko, too, the struggle is over the power and agency of
storytelling:  too many allegedly "Indian" books and poems were not, in fact,
written by people with any tribal heritage or affiliation.  For someone like
Silko, I imagine that the change from "Injun" to "Indian" in Twain's work would
be a distinction without a difference:  both are offensive and carry the weight
of dehumanization.  But again, not all people feel that way.

Erdrich is Turtle Mountain Chippewa and German, and she uses tribal designations
because they are most accurate and natural, but she does also use "Native,"
"Native American," "Indian" or American Indian" (apparently interchangeably) as
adjectives when speaking more generally.

James Welch was Blackfeet/Gros Ventre.  He died in 2003, but his work seems to
come down more on the side of Erdrich than Silko in terms of this question.

Hope this helps a little.  This whole discussion certainly stirs some waters.

Sharon

PS--By the way, here's a great interview with Erdrich on _Faces of America_ that
addresses many issues of identity and history:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofamerica/profiles/louise-erdrich/10/ .