From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:18:29 -0500
Yes, there has already been too much "pop psychoanalysis" in Mark Twain
criticism, although the phrase itself is a redundancy.  "Splitting"
personalities seems to me to be a highfalutin attempt to "explain" the
obvious- that authors and humorists of Twain's era commonly used pseudonyms
and constructed characters.
Consider:

David Ross Locke-           Petroleum V. Nasby
Henry Wheeler Shaw-      Josh Billings
Charles Farrar Browne-    Artemus Ward
Robert Henry Newell-       Orpheus C. Kerr
Benjamin Penhallow Shillaber- Mrs. Partington
William Wright-                Dan DeQuille

Habit and convention are the most defensible explanations for Sam's
adoption of the "Twain" brand and character, after trying many others,
e.g., W. Epaminondas Adrastus Blab, and, as Kevin Mac Donnell has cogently
argued, even the particular choice of pseudonym was likely "borrowed," from
Artemus Ward, no less.

Freud was purported to have observed that "Sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar," and, although he probably didn't say that, it would have been one
of the few contributions of psychoanalysis to literary criticism worth
remembering.
Respectfully,
Martin Zehr

Virus-free.