From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:49:27 +0000
Pure ignorance. Book designers often flip negatives deliberately for
"visual" appeal, the historical record be damned, but in this case the
cover lettering would have fit better if they'd correctly reproduced it,
so it looks to me like a mistake.

This happens all the time when coat buttons or other visual clues (like
a building in the background) are not visible, but in this image it
could not be more obvious.

This would all have been made so much simpler (please don't make me
explain why) if Twain had become a pirate instead of an author.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive