From:
Robert Champ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:22:04 EST
I'd like to weigh in with my own compliments to Sheldon Craig for his
astute comments on racism in _Huckleberry Finn_.  Twain was, it seems
to me, one of the few nineteenth century writers to look this problem
straight in the eye.  He could portray blacks sympathetically without
being sentimental, and he could condemn racism without sounding like
a smug moralist.

I also think that Gary Mongiovi's reminder that Twain was not writing
for "experts" is right on target.

What I would like to know is why we don't hear more protest from the
French.  If ever there was a group of people that Twain raked over the
coals, it was the members of the Gallic race.  Perhaps there should be
a conference or two to decide what to do about this sorry situation.  We
may even be able to discover, by a careful analysis of the language, that
one of Twain's great characters was French all along--say, Hank Morgan.
After all, where does Hank go when he needs to get away from Camelot to
nurse a sick child?

Signed: A Person of French Antecedents Who Loves Twain Anyway

Bob Champ