From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:38:13 -0500
Dear Gretchen:

Thank you so much for this info! How interesting to know that Leary's
family did not feel that her speech was represented well by Lawton. I think
Lawton could have retained the 'rambling' aspect of the narrative while
avoiding the grammatical 'errors' and odd spellings and presented the same
stories with equal charm and more credibility (merely my opinion).

Coincidentally, someone else sent me an article off list that quotes
a(nother) niece, Marguerite Leary Conway, to the same effect (Robert E.
Agan, "Katie Leary: She's Always There," Mark Twain Society Bulletin 2.2
[June 1979]).

I will be sure to visit Leary's grave (Woodlawn?) and namesake park when I
am next in Elmira!

Thank you and take care and keep warm,
Taylor