From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2018 11:59:25 -0400
I know of no instances in history where Scholarship or Greed were choices for filmmakers. The choices are always “artistic value” vs. financial gain. No one would understand this better than SLC himself.

An unbridled curiosity and uncanny awareness guided his steps, and brilliance certainly helped him arrive at his destination, but it was need that drove Twain to write commercially. Fortunately for all of us, his natural talents and personality merged with his need for commercial success.

Scholarship exists to discover, interpret and teach or inform.  Commercial film making exists to entertain. When I read about the Stead-Bird controversy, I immediately thought “commercially-minded” author vs. education-minded author.” You turn a scholarly discovery into gold only if you understand or can create its market value and know who to work with to get the ore out of the ground.

Sent from my iPhone