From:
Dave Chance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:31:22 -0700
I did a little research into this as I was helping
with the preparation of a display for "Banned Books
Week" in my undergrad. institution's main library, and
I enocuntered some references to the smoking scenes as
well as the general "glorification of juvenile
delinquency." I regret that I can't direct you to the
specific references at this time, but I recall
researching it from the perspective of the specialized
topic of banned books, which easily turned up enough
quality and range of references to justify the book's
inclusion in the display. I seem to recall even
reading some things pertaining to the boys' practice
of nudity while trying to keep themselves entertained
on the island!  Good luck and enjoy!

Dave Chance