From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:57:56 -0500
Greetings -- Craig Hotchkiss at the Mark Twain House & Museum (where, full disclosure, I work too) asked me to pass along info on the summer NEH teacher workshop in Nevada and Harford that he and Kerry Driscoll are offering. It has quite a roster of scholars, as you'll see if you follow the link. Here goes:

Mark Twain and the Culture of Progress
A National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute for School Teachers in Virginia City, Nevada, and Hartford, Connecticut, offered by The Mark Twain House & Museum
July 10-29, 2011

A distinguished collegiate faculty will offer educators an in-depth examination of two seminal works by Mark Twain, Roughing It and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. Over a three-week period, selected participants will delve into Twain’s evolution as a writer as reflected in these books as well as explore the environs that inspired them: Virginia City, Nevada, and Hartford, Connecticut.

Along with an exceptional opportunity to study the author’s life and work through a powerful intersection of classroom and experiential learning, we will situate these texts within the broader historical themes of industrialization, technological
innovation, territorial expansion, and imperialism which transformed 19th-century American society.

Eligibility: By application only for any K-12 educator or Education graduate students.

There is no fee for attending the NEH Teacher Institute and a stipend of $2,700 is included to defray participants’ room, board and travel expenses. Successful completion of the program earns 9 CEUs.

For program details and application process, visit our website at http://www.marktwainhouse.org/programs/neh_institute.php.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Courtney