From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:18:46 -0400
M.D. Zehr's response to Ron's question on Coyotes, jerked back into  plain
text from the machine language:

The  description of the "cayote" as an "allegory of want" is indeed from
Roughing It.  Shelley Fisher Fishkin has included Twain's hilarious
description in her edited  book, "Mark Twain and His Animals"

    Isn't it great to see the name 'Artemus Ward'  again being linked ith
SLC. Kevin Mac Donnell's research on the pseudonym is  such an attractive
piece of analysis, I hope hundreds subscribe
to MTJ just  to read his complete argument. Personally, I've always felt
that any reading of  Ward brought me a little closer to Twain, particularly
his Comstock years. And I  have Larry Berkove to thank for that. A somewhat
related question -- does anyone  know the full name of H.W. Bergen, Twain's
agent in the 1870s? I have the  complete name (somewhere) for Ward's agent,
E.P. Hingston (an Australian BTW) ,  but Bergen's full name seems elusive for
some odd reason. A bigger question:  when did this tradition of using
initials originate for managers and agents? Can  we blame Phineas T. Barnum? Or
does it go back further? I was  recently told that the late 20th century
animator Chuck Jones,creator of Wile E.  Coyote, attributed inspiration for his
hit cartoon character to a chapter of  Roughing It. Don't remember anything
about a Coyote in Roughing It, will have to  re-read it. Ron Hohenhaus
Brisbane, Australia Email sent using Optus  Webmail