Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:57:52 -0500
While there are many parallels in Carlyle's _French Revolution_ to some
of Twain's works, one of the more interesting theories as to why he
called for that book shortly before he died is related in _S.L.C. to C.T._
(privately printed in 1925).  Charlotte Teller reveals that when she
was writing her play "Mirabeau" that Clemens loaned her his personal copy
of Carlyle's book.  According to Teller:

~~~~~
He said at one time when he did die, he would send me a message. He put
it this way, "When I am dying Charlotte, I will send you a message.
No one in the world will know that I am sending it, but you will know
when you receive it."

The morning I read of his death, I thought of that message, and as I
read in the newspaper accounts, I found that he had asked for the copy
of the French Revolution which I had at one time used in my play and
opened to a certain page (Mr. Paine also speaks of this in his
"Biography") and that what he had been reading was a portion that he and
I had often discussed. (_S.L.C. to C.T._, p. 6).

~~~~~

Barb