From:
Jeff Sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:30:39 -0700
Barring a "Secret Diary", we will never know Clemen's sexual preference for
certain, but it is NOT a ridiculous notion that he might have dabbled - many
of
the intelligencia of the day did - stated opinion or otherwise (it was not
uncommon to denouce such things in public with cries of "sodomite",
"unnatural", and even "nitwit", while revelling in them behind closed closet
doors). But this is idle speculation. There is no evidence to directly
suggest
that he was "so" inclined.

I believe the gentleman was objecting because your vehement disavowal
implied
that the suggestion of Clemens being gay was in some way an insult (which it
is
not), and that your tone carried the sulphurous stench of homophobia at
worst,
and intellectual elitism at best, into the sacred and democratic precints of
scholarly debate. Correct me if I'm wrong. As long as it is on topic (or
within
a reasonable tangent) why not discuss the possibility?

I for one would be interested to see what bent that would put on some of his
character relationships. Any takers?

Oop. Home again home again, jiggity jig.
Cheers!
Sarge