From:
James Edstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 20:21:45 -0800
Thank you, Judith. The story had a distinct air of bunkum about it, and
the text you quote supports that. In my Illinois history course that I
teach at Harper College, I devote a fair amount of attention to the
Fair, and I had never seen a single reference to any moving picture of
the Fair, let alone one taken by Mark Twain. The reference to him having
a heart attack at the sight of Little Egypt's performance strikes me as
reminiscent of his description of his reaction to the Can-Can in "The
Innocents Abroad": "Twenty sets formed, the music struck up, and then--I
placed my hands before my face for very shame. But I looked through my
fingers."