From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:13:25 -0500
First: it does not ring true, for me; does not sound like MT.  Second:
like Terry, I would also file that one under:  fake quotes attributed to a
famous, well-liked guy who might have said something vaguely similar to it,
at some point.

Actually, it occurs to me that Barb should include a page on her site of
"psuedo-quotes," or fake quotes or whatever we decide to call them -- I bet
we could generate quite a list of fake MT quotes!.

ps:  I did the great powerpoint years ago that began and ended with a
wonderful quote from Thoreau's journal that I had discovered and found
deeply relevant for the lecture.  Guy comes up at the end -- "you might
like to know this, but I doubt that quote is from HDT."  Turned out, after
a little research, he was right -- and yet that quote is attributed to
Thoreau, and quoted widely, according to scores of examples in Google
Books.  I hated doing it, but I changed the powerpoint ....

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English