From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2021 22:21:26 +0000
It's certainly the RR Twain and his family took to/from Elmira every
year, and which Twain used when he needed to go back from Elmira to
Hartford or to NY by himself. Two officials with that RR arranged a
special car for the family each year: A. Reasoner, whose full name and
dates I do not know; and Frank J. Griffith (b. 1847). Twain gave them
each inscribed copies of Grant's Memoirs by way of thanks (inscr by SLC,
not Grant, of course!). The Langdon's either owned that RR or owned a
substantial amount of stock in that RR--I don't recall which.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive