From:
USERTAYR@UBCMTSG
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1992 18:42:54 PST
     A friend from back east just sent me a colourful poster
measuring 36" x 24" with the large title, "MARK TWAIN
COUNTRY / Chemung County, New York."  It's a busy, cartoon-
like map of Elmira, and shows a lot of the local businesses.
It's blatant advertising, of course, but it also flaunts such
attractions as the MT study, Quarry Farm, MT gravesite, and MT
Musical Drama.  The illustrator is David Cain (1992).

     There are probably a few other Twainian things mixed in
there that I haven't found yet.  A river flows along the
bottom, for example, and a couple are standing in it with a
measuring stick.  One person says to the other, "It looks to
be about two fathoms deep."

     I thought MT Forum people might be interested in this,
since it's a cute poster, and the Chemung County Chamber of
Commerce could probably be persuaded to send it to whoever
asks.

Regards,
Taylor Roberts
Univ. of British Columbia