From:
Anton Verhulst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:30:37 -0400
As a person probably fitting the description above :-), I feel qualified to
reply.  For the record, I'm a working engineer, having earned a B.A. in
Biology and an M.S. in Computer Science - I believe that sets me apart from
this crowd.

I too was "forced" to read HF in high school and was not particularly
impressed - at the time.  It was OK, but that was it.  What turned me on to
Twain was a college freshman enlish course where "Letters from the Earth"
was asssigned.  Now I was impressed.  This course and this book ultimately
resulted a lifelong interest in MT as well as a significant collection of
his
books.

But, to address the questions at hand... It is not hard for students to
discover the works listed by ms. O'Connell.  They simply aren't interested.
When I go to a book store I rarely see people looking at the
classics or looking at poetry.  I see them everywhere else, though.  It's
probably a "culture thing".  It's not that they're adverse to reading, they
just don't read literature.  I'm guilty of this.  My wife has a fair
collection
of the classics - and reads them.  I tend to go for the "Atlantic Monthly"
when it arrives each month.  Am I missing out on something?  Of course, yet
I continue to walk past those books.

As for "when did college become about saving time and work, instead of
engaging in genuine study and discourse", a long time ago, I think.  For
many, a college education is a means to an (economic/professional) end.
A college has become a glofified trade school for many.  Sure, there are
students with a deep interest in learning but I think that they're in
the minority.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Tony Verhulst
Digital Equipment Corporation