From:
"Bird, John C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2020 20:59:20 +0000
University of Missouri Press has a Black Friday sale on its books until December 15: 40% off with the code HOLIDAYS2020 at upress.missouri.edu. Look for the Mark Twain and His Circle series for some fine books, including volume two of Gary Scharnhorst’s three-volume biography of Mark Twain.

Full disclosure: along with Tom Quirk, I co-edit the Mark Twain and his Circle series, but I do not have any financial interest in sales (unless you decide to buy my Mark Twain and Metaphor, available in both hardcover and paperback, end of commercial).

On another and only slightly related note, Judith Yaross Lee and I co-edited the recently published collection of scholarly essays on Mad magazine, Seeing Mad, also from University of Missouri Press. 596 pages, 59 black and white illustrations, full of fun and astute analysis. Not cheap at $65, but available with the same code or for $40 with the code MAD40. And look for an announcement of a special event about the book on Thursday, December 3 at the Mark Twain House in Hartford.

Happy Thanksgiving and the impending birthdays of Mark Twain and Olivia Clemens.

John Bird
Winthrop University