From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 05:46:11 -0700
Cats slither their way through a good deal of Twain's work.  They are not
always treated lovingly, though Twain himself loved them, as Barb noted.  (A
cat-eating horse appears in an early San Francisco piece.)

The description of Tom feeding painkiller to his aunt's cat Peter in TOM
SAWYER is, for me, one of the great Twain set pieces of comic writing.

He seems to have named cats wonderfully.  I've always treasured a pair of
kittens, rather late in Mark's life, that he named Sackcloth and Ashes.

Mark Coburn