Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 19:25:34 +0000
Heretical Fictions is an excellent book, but I think anyone trying to
make the case that Jim was motivated by self-interest not to tell Huck
about his father's death, must also make the case that Jim didn't think
he was smart enough to escape slavery without a white child's help. I
think that questioning Jim's motives is an insult to Jim's character; he
has more integrity than most of the white characters in the story. Would
Jim--the paternal figure who delivers that eloquent sermonette on
friendship--treat the now wholly orphaned Huck that way?

I would suggest that anyone who has read Huck Finn or Life on the
Mississippi also read Thomas Buchanan's Black Life on the Mississippi
(2004) for some surprising insights (and even as a counterpoint) into,
well, black life on the Mississippi.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books