Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 23:26:03 +0000
From:
Jerry Vorpahl <[log in to unmask]>
I don't believe Mark Twain's opinion of the American Indian was formed by a couple attacks at stage stops. I grew up in Indian country, not so long ago, and heard the many derisive names and stories about them from quite substantial white citizens, including my mother. When I read Twain's comments on the race, particularly "The Noble Red Man," they were not much different than what I'd been hearing all my life. I believe the characterizations have softened considerably in this era of Civil Rights, but at one time it was quite prevalent throughout the west.