From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 13:36:48 -0500
-- [ From: John Bird * EMC.Ver #3.2 ] --

A friend of mine gave me the most recent copy of the magazine "Pipes and
Tobaccos," with Mark Twain on the cover and the first of a two-part article
inside.  A familiar, relatively trustworthy account of his life, with heavy
emphasis on his smoking habits.  The tone of the article is very pro-smoking, of
course.  The cover photo is a sepia-toned picture of MT in a rocking chair with
a pipe and a porcelain cat in his lap.  The editor makes a nice pitch for the
Mark Twain Project in his opening column.  Here's an e-mail address for
subscriptions if anybody is interested:  [log in to unmask]

(I have nothing to do with the mag--and I'm pretty anti-smoking--except for the
cigar smoke-in at Quarry Farm last summer, of which I was proud to be a part!)
--
John Bird
Have you picked your mandolin today?