Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Paine
From: "Kevin. Mac Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:07:30 -0600
The best edition of Paine to read is the 1935 Centenary Edition (4 vols.
bound in two). It contains the text of the original 3 vol first edition of
1912 (reprinted the same year in 4 vols), with a 5pp "Notes for the 12th
Edition" preface added, dated "Spring, 1935" where Paine strikes back an
unnamed critic and makes a few minor corrections to the text.

The only difference I know of between the two 1912 editions (3v vs 4v) is
that the four volume edition adds a facsimile of a letter of introduction
Twain wrote for Paine.

The 1935 printing is tougher to find than the 1912, but no reading of Paine
is complete until you've read his very few begrudging corrections and his
dismissive account of DeVoto's "attack."

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive