Sender:
From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:00:19 -0500
A first person narrative titled "Mark Twain in a Railroad Car" appeared
in an 1873 issue of Theriaki magazine -- a quarterly magazine published
by Samuel B. Collins.  The narrative begins:

"I got into the cars and took a seat in juxtaposition to a female.
That female's face was a perfect insurance company for her -- it
insured her against ever getting married to anybody except a blind
man.  Her mouth looked like a crack in a dried lemon, and there was
no more expression than there is in a cup of cold mustard."

The narrative ends:

"Dubuque is celebrated for its fine turn-outs on the streets.  While
I was there a wagon upset and spilled a lot of women.  I didn't
see it -- I looked the other way. No cards."

What is the publishing history being this narrative?

Thanks,
Barb