From:
tdempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:37:02 -0500
Tonight at 8:30, two dozen of us gathered down at the river front behind
the new statue of Sam to celebrate the Van Gogh moon as it rose over the
Mississippi.  We didn't know quite what to expect.  We drank Moet &
Chandon Brut Imperial and sat in our lawn chairs watching our dogs
frolic in the grass -- thereby breaking at least two city ordinances --
as we awaited moonrise.
    This moon only occurs every 19 years.  I don't know if Sam ever
watched it in Hannibal or not.  Maybe some of you devoted Twainiacs
know.  If he saw one, he surely left a record, for it was magic.
    The Mark Twain riverboat, our local cruise boat, had finished its
nightly run and was tied up for the evening.  As darkness fell, the
American Queen, one of three majestic riverboats still plowing the
Midwest rivers came into sight.  At exactly 9:04, the most brilliant
giant orange moon appeared directly over the river between the American
Queen and the stern of the Mark Twain.  Many people think the
Mississippi runs south, but in fact, it runs to the south-east from
Hannibal.  The moonglow shone up the length of the river.  It was simply
gorgeous. We cheered lustily for the moon and the river and the Queen
and the beautiful night. We cheered as if we could encourage the
universe to greater heights of glory.  (Okay, I cheered at least in part
due to the skill of a vintner in Rheims.)
    Anyway, there is more to living here than butting heads with the
Tom-Sawyer-as-Sam-Clemens crowd.  There is more to living here than
researching slavery. This is still a place of great beauty and wonder.
With any luck, I'll find a photo or two and find a place to post them in
the coming week.

Terrell