From:
John Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:35:45 -0400
Years ago I read Twain's "Letters from the Earth" edited by Bernard
deVoto.  In his introduction, deVoto states that he edited Twain's
original Letter numbering to an unimaginative (my adjective, not his)
"I" thru "XI".  After researching this on the internet, I have been
unable to find any mention of this re-numbering, let alone Twain's
original numbering for which I was really looking.

Would anyone know where I could find this?  Shouldn't Twain's original
numbering be restored to the "Letters," or at least be made available?
It is really taking something from the story Twain intended.

Thanks for any help...!

John Estes