From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 20:10:43 +0000
Yes. I'm no MT scholar, to say the least, but the essence of Dustin's points have seemed likely to me since Kevin's discovery was first posted here: First, that it's almost certain, is it not, that the author of the Vanity Fair article derived the name from the same nautical reference that Clemens has been reputed to have done? And second for that reason, its appearance in an article he read could have been an echo of something he'd thought of before or since for his own reasons. In other words, I'd submit that reports that he'd plagiarized his pen name are greatly exaggerated. But then, what do I know?

Ben