From:
Sara Willen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:44:35 -0800
Agreed! "A French Reader" is right on target.

I had a go around on this subject in 2010 with ended (for me) with my
letter to the /LA Times/ - which, please excuse me, I'll post here, in
support of unbowdlerized texts:

Mark Twain a racist? Oh, bosh! When we're talking about Twain, we're
speaking of someone born well before the Civil War, in a small town,
from a slave-holding state. That his humanity -- hmmm, like Lincoln's --
could overcome the fundamental bigotry of his time and place, with all
of its attendant horrors, is extraordinary.

Does that make him a 21st century man? No -- and we ought not hold him
to the so-called niceties of our own social and political fabric. But
that he wrote, so effectively, about a boy coming to understand that a
slave is a sentient person and not property is remarkable for his day,
and long after.