From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:23:27 -0700
I have recently found material somewhat related to Mark Twain’s visit to
“The Holy Land”, a part of his journey aboard the steamship the Quaker
City – and related in his book The Innocents Abroad. He and a few other
pilgrims took “the long trip” through what was then Syria and Palestine,
horseback. One of their first stops was Baalabek, possibly the holiest
site for the ancient Romans. One wonders what a touring group of
American Christians was doing visiting a site of little or no Christian
significance. What puzzles me is their apparent lack of knowledge on
what this site was.
/At eleven o’clock, our eyes fell upon the walls and columns of Baalbec,
a noble ruin whose history is a sealed book. It has stood there for
thousands of years, the wonder and admiration of travelers; but who
built it, or when it was built, are questions that may never be
answered. One thing is very sure, though. Such grandeur of design, and
such grace of execution, as one sees in the temples of Baalbec, have not
been equaled or even approached in any work of men’s hands that has been
built within twenty centuries past./
It was, in fact, fairly well known what this site was and who built it.
Richard F. Burton and his wife Isabel were there just a couple of years
later. Burton was there to offer English assistance in restoring the
site, removing the Saracenic rubbish and stabilizing the columns.
Isabel had written:
/For some months past my husband has been making interest with Rashid
Pasha, the Wali, or Governor- general of Syria, to take certain
precautionary steps for the conservation of old Heliopolis. In the early
Saracenic times the temple, or rather temples, had been built up into a
fort; whence, as at Palmyra, they are still known to the Arabs as El
Kala'ah (the Castle). Of late years the moat has been planted with
poplars, dry walls have divided into garden plots; and thus the visitor
can neither walk round the building, nor enjoy the admirable
proportions, the vast length of line, /
Further on she notes:
/Unhappily, Mr. Barker, immediately on beginning work, was summoned to
Damascus by Rashid Pasha, who, after having kindly offered to carry out
the improvements, changed his mind suddenly, inexplicably, a la Turque.
He objected to the worthless building material being given away — the
why will not interest your readers. /
Of additional interest to my readers is Twain’s visit to Jerusalem. He
spends more than two chapters on his touring the sites. For those
interested in greater detail of the history and archæology od Jerusalem
I have transcribed from a PDF copy of Karl Bædeker’s 1898 tour book of
Syria and Palestine his rather copious details of this city and its
environs (as known in 1898).
https://twainsgeography.com/content/innocents-journey-through-holy-land
<https://twainsgeography.com/content/innocents-journey-through-holy-land?fbclid=IwAR1c_BvTckOm4mAMe1P20O110y_H_6kjgWGIDyZf8ij0rUeA2RWXAoejuTQ>