From:
John Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:44:04 +0000
Dear Gabi,

You are correct.  In the passage I cited from _Tom Sawyer_,  Tom and
Huck have just witnessed the murder of Dr. Robinson and are trying to
run to the safety of an old tannery.  That is their goal. I don't know
if we are any closer to a definitive answer to Barbara Schmidt's
original question concerning the source.  I am still unsatisfied by the
portion of the quote, "...they lost sight of their goal."  That doesn't
seem to fit in with the passage from _Tom Sawyer_.

Barbara,  when you find the source, please inform us.  My curiosity is
running high.

Regards,

John