From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2022 10:52:42 -0500
As to eclipses -- Alan Gribben's new reference volume (reviewed here a few
weeks ago) comes in very handy. Gribben lists 5 books under his "eclipse"
entry in the index that may have inspired the episode in CONNECTICUT
YANKEE, including the writings of Christopher Columbus and H. R. Haggard.
Gribben also cites previous research on the eclipse episode.

As to watches -- Clemens did at one time own stock in the Fredonia watch
company.  An essay about that investment is online here --

http://www.twainquotes.com/FredoniaWatch.html

The above essay was written by Dave Thomson.  I was informed yesterday that
all of Thomson's Mark Twain collection has now been delivered to the Mark
Twain Museum in Hannibal, Missouri -- perhaps including the sample of the
watch.

Barb