From:
"B.A. Van Der Wel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:32:48 -0800
On Dec 10, 2007, at 10:38 AM, David H Fears wrote in part:

> [...] Our society lacks value for teachers. [....]

Dear Mr. Fears:

I may be an avid reader but only a very occasional poster here and
more than a few years out from the structured study of novels, but I
do know a sweeping generalization when it attempts to sneak by!

Many facets of our society value teachers quite highly and pay them
relatively well. From private secondary schools to many universities,
the stipends, salaries, benefits and general living arrangements show
that at least part of our society places a good deal of value on
teachers, teaching and the importance of this profession.

To be sure, some mechanical trades such as plumbing seem to command a
much higher paycheck, but consider this: if you were faced with
having to either study a novel by yourself, completely unaided, or
forsake indoor plumbing at this time of year for a hastily dug trench
in the back corner of your yard, which might you choose to endure
longer?

I think "our society" in general may place too much value, especially
economic value, on material comforts and their upkeep, but this
hardly seems to mean we must all "lack value for teachers." Using an
income scale as the only valuation method seems to leave a lot out of
consideration that is more than due.

Lastly, as much as Mark Twain liked to take shots at everyone, he did
value people who seemed wise to him and in that had respect for many
individuals regardless of their profession even while he was quite
enamored with the idea of getting very rich from a variety of
enterprises.

Yours cordially,
Benjamin A. van der Wel
Walnut Creek, California