Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:53:02 -0500
Subject:
From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Its clearly not intended as an academic resource. Use of likeness rights may have been purchased by CMG. If this is the case, they might simply require a letter asking permission. Personally I think they just want to sell posters. But why not simply ask them? Once you learn what they control, or think they control, you can proceed to validate their claims.

On Nov 11, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Andrew Beahrs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I say posers=85and possibly illegally so.  I noticed that they include =
> the following faux quote, which is the kind of thing you see attributed =
> to Twain on Facebook=85hard to imagine that the legit estate would =
> feature it.
>
> "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that =
> you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. =
> Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. =
> Explore. Dream. Discover."
>

> On Nov 11, 2014, at 11:02 AM, Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]> =
> wrote:
>
>> The site claims to represent the estate of Mark Twain and controls all
>> use of his likeness, etc. for business purposes.
>> http://www.cmgww.com/historic/twain/index.php
>> =20
>> Given that almost all of his work is in public domain, what do they
>> actually control.  Are they, in fact, just posers.  The site is not
>> particularly impressive as web sites go.
>> =20
>> I am curious because I've developed a audio/video book of "A =
> Connecticut
>> Yankee in King Arthur's Court" on a 32GB flash drive that I'm hoping =
>> market.  It contains an icon of a rather well worn photo of Twain.  As
>> far as I know, all my materials are public domain

Alan Kitty
908-310-2117
www.marktwainslaststand.com