From:
Jerilyn Zulli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 1995 01:04:05 -0400
IMHO, to adequately discuss Twain's view on white vs. black, you need to
recognize the difference between being anti-slavery and being a racist.
That Twain was vehemently against slavery is (as far as I know) not an
issue; all his writing and actions support the view that he found slavery
abhorrent.  And, in his mind, slavery was not limited to the American
South--the church, the government (e.g,, monarchy) were also enslavers in
their own way.

Whether or not Twain was racist, however, is a separate issue, and IS
open for debate.  For example, Huck's eloquent support for Jim is no proof
either way on this issue.  I have looked at a great deal of the evidence
on both sides, and I am officially...undecided.

Jeri Zulli
George Washington University