From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:17:27 -0600
FYI, I am writing a review of Steve Courtney's book for the Forum, which I
hope to have ready before Christmas. But a brief preview might be
appropriate--

The book's engaging narrative is nicely framed around an account `Mother'
Fairbanks wrote of a tour she was given of the house in 1874 by the
architect, Edward Tuckerman Potter. The illustrations are copious and
stunning, with interior views taken during Twain's lifetime comingled with
magnificent color images that show the house in its full glory today. There
is also a good account of the sometimes hair-raising history of the house
after it was sold by Twain. If you've taken a tour of this home this book
will make you want to go back and see it again. If you've never seen the
house in person and never have the chance to see it, this book is the
next-best thing. For Twain scholars, no matter what you think you know about
the Hartford home, you will learn something you didn't know by reading this
book. And unlike most books about historic structures this book is
well-indexed and solidly sourced. It conveys the "heart and soul" that Twain
spoke of when describing his beloved home.

Full disclosure: p. 75 has a previously unpublished 1875 photo of Susy and
Clara sitting on the ground outside the home with their German nursemaid,
courtesy of yours truly, but the book is 144 pages long so there are 143
other reasons to get a copy.

This book won't fit in a stocking (or on a Kindle), but it would make a
welcome gift for any Twainian.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books